Translate Language

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The world is a funny place

By now everyone who follows Game of Thrones has seen THAT episode.  Just in case anyone hasnt I wont really mention any specifics about it.  I read the books yeeeaaaars ago and have been dying to see this one for ages.  I even told my friends after I realized this episode would be the one.  Told them about 3 episodes ago.  They were ready, but not really READY for the awesomeness.  My favourite part is the absolute rage that people who'd never read the books have been posting online with web articles and on twitter.  This twitter channel is easily the funniest place on the internet for me right now.

It's pretty telling that everyone I know who read the books years back were so enthralled with that chapter that they went out trying to get everyone they knew to start reading the books.  The people watching the tv show?  They seem to want to boycott the show and wish death on the author.  I'll admit to being surprised with some of the changes they made in the episode though.

The_Rains_of_Castamere_Differences

The above link lists out the changes.  At least most of them.  So its good to look at if you never plan to read the book and are curious about how it went down in that.  I felt the tv episode was a bit too quick.  The book version was more emotional, more brutal in a sense.  I remember my brain shutting down for about 10min after I'd read it. Another friend of mine threw the book across the room in anger.  If you want to read just that chapter heres the link, if you feel like reading just the magic bit, thats at 130 and goes for 3 pages.  Link below-

http://cdn1.vnetrix.com/A.Storm.of.Swords-Catelyn.pdf


Theres a few names in that chapter that arent in the tv episode, like Smalljon and Dacey for example.  Knowing them made everything even more nasty.  But yeah, I dont think any other chapter of any book written that I've read compares to this one.  Its like the top tier of everything.  For those wanting to kill themselves with sadness just wait till next season.  You cried in this one, but in that one you will cheer with joy.  And no, its not linked to the characters in this chapter.  But some really good stuff. And some bad of course lololololol.

One other thing I read up today was a few feminists around the net writing up articles wanting the 12th Doctor in Doctor Who to be a female, since Matt Smith is stepping down thanks to Moffat being a douche.  What they should be doing is getting rid of Moffat instead.  But anyway, wanting the 12th to be a female cast instead?  No.  You dont do that to an iconic character.  It wont be Doctor Who any more.  It'll be Doctor Someone-else.  Too much has already changed.  Doing that would just be the final slap.  I'm one of those who arent happy with how they've brought the series back the way they have.  Some episodes are great, but others are just disgustingly poor.  The real reason its so different I think is because of todays kids since its aimed at that demographic.

Like in the past the show was always aimed at younger people.  Normally under 14.  Except back then it was purely more inclined towards horror.  It was great.  Now its 2/5 comedy, 2/5 action, 1/5 horror.  I honestly dont believe kids today could even handle some of the episodes in the past.  Whether it be because its too scary for them or todays generation of ADD/OCD kids cant focus if there isnt fast paced music and action happening.   Like in one story when Sarah Jane was actually revealed to be a doppleganger android after they pulled her face off.  That was terrifying.  The Daleks, when they came in you knew shit was about to go down.  Now?  The doctor acts scared for the first 5min, then for the rest of the episode hes cracking jokes and slapping them about like they arent the most destructive force in the universe.  The sontarans?  They were vicious in the past.  I remember one scene where one of them died and their huge fat head deflated while oozing green puss or something.  That shit stuck to my brain forever.  Now?  Their most powerful warrior is a joke.  Literally.  A total joke.

I know some people will disagree with me and thats cool.  Just for my specific tastes I know what I liked about Doctor Who.  The new seasons I probably like 1 episode in every 7.  Although those episodes are pretty awesome.  If you really want a female doctor just make a spin-off.  Theres already been a few of these so theres no reason why they cant go and use either an existing female character or create a brand new one who has her own destiny and isnt riding off a previous characters past.  Because I feel this would be far more insulting to the character if it was changed into a woman.  If you follow my scattered thoughts..

What they could do is just go completely sideways.  New time lord.  Female teenager.  The Tardis?  Its not a blue box any more.  Its anything it wants to be.  It can change into a car, a plane, a giant robot thats fights for her.  It can reach into its chest and pull out a battleship sized gun if it wants.  Suddenly we've got Ben 10 for girls, the new Kim Possible, but in the Doctor Who universe.  Imagine the amount of lunch boxes that shit would sell!  The merchandise would be through the roof!  Yes this is a horrible idea.  But I'd so prefer it to changing the current doctor.  Just no.

Lastly I'll leave you with a couple funny pictures linked to the current Game of Thrones episode...













1 comment:

  1. Haha thanks for the Twitter link. So much hatred from seeing their favorite main characters die. I've read the book version and I admit, it was a shock to say the least. Not so much on the characters dying but more on the brutality.

    ReplyDelete