Translate Language

Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Black Friday = Black Eyes

Another Black Friday passed! I must admit I wasn't very impressed with the savings this year. I was in the market for a External HDD and what I found was maybe $5-$10 off the regular price. Pretty weak. While any savings is great I was really hoping to get something under $50.

In truth I just don't think Black Friday deals have been all that grand this past couple years. Then again maybe its because I just don't have spending money. I would probably make more excuses to purchase just about anything if I had the dough to.

All this anxiety does remind me of some of my the Black Friday memories as a sales associate. For a example. Something people don't understand is things like the TVs. The DEEPLY DISCOUNTED TVs are actually "derivative products" of the standard model. People would come in all the time and check out the TV displays shortly after the Black Friday ads were leaked. Believing those very products were what they are buying.

I recall one man talking with me and asking if I could show him what TVs were going on sale. I smiled and said none of the TVs he sees on display will be on the Black Friday inventory. What we get instead are TVs that are the same size, style, and brand...BUT are made with cheaper components, less features,  ect. They literally ship them to us with a different model number and UPC code. This way our registers always sell that TV for the "Discount Price". Which is actually just their regular price. They never went on "sale" because they never had a higher price to begin with. They are made cheap, so they can be sold for cheap (but for a profit) all while you think you are buying the real deal.

The poor man just stood there. Feeling a little cheated. - Jed


No comments:

Post a Comment