Translate Language

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Catching up with old Cartoons

I've been doing my best to get through shows from the late 70s and 80s, ones that were supposed to be awesome and ones I never finished as a kid.  I'd never heard of Thundarr The Barbarian so I grabbed a few episodes and I absolutely loved it.  Watched the whole series.  I grabbed another that has good feeback called Blackstar,  I've only seen a few episodes so far but its pretty weak.  Not sure if I'll continue it.  And finally I finished Pirates of Dark Water.  That show was beyond epic.  So many big name voice actors in it too.  Megatron, Optimus, Ariel just to name a few.  Even Superman!  I'd only ever seen a few episodes when I was younger.  The stupid video store just never got more than a couple or so tapes and they were all out of order.  They drove me up the wall with Robotech but thats another story.

I have a bunch of others I still need to get through like Prince Valiant, Gandahar, and Dungeons and Dragons, which I did begin watching when I was younger but I know I havent seen majority of it.  One other thing I'd like to bring up and rant about is a super old series called Captain Future.

I'd grown up with certain things and few potent ones were Voltes V, Captain Harlock, and Captain Future.  Voltes V was pretty much a dubbed movie length that was edited from the first 4 episodes of the series, being 52 (I think) episodes long.  Back then there was nothing else but that and I always had the feeling there was more.  I only managed to get the full japanese subtitled version of it a few years ago and that closed a chapter in my childhood.  Love it to death.  Still need to watch the other 2 series that creator made, Daimos and Combattler.  Luckily I have them.

Harlock I actually remember very little of what I had.  It was definitely dubbed annd maybe 2 episodes.  Not sure.  At some stage I'll look it up and see about grabbing the older ones.  I know some new series were made that werent meant to be that good.  But Japan is shit when it comes to Anime these days.

Now Captain Future... That was the same as Voltes V.  The first 4 episodes spliced into a dubbed movie.  I have no idea what happened to my tape of it.  I've found torrents of the english dub movie online, and they are pretty horrid in quality, but I'll sit through it again at some stage.  I've also found out this too had 52 episodes.  Heres where it gets stupid..  I've only found the first 4 episodes of the japanese series with subtitles.  Other than that theres very good quality versions of all 52 episodes on youtube, but its in german.  And NOT subtitled!  WTF am I supposed to do with this.  Distraught isnt even close to how I feel over it.  I might be forced to watch it in german and have no clue whats happening.  Bleah.








No comments:

Post a Comment